Wednesday, April 9, 2008

An Interview With Sloane



A friend emailed me today and asked about Sloane. "What does Sloane dream of? What does she want to be when she grows up? " Of course, I immediately asked her. I know some parents would answer on their child's behalf, assuming that they know the answers. I find that I am often amazed at what I learn just by asking. Sloane loved me asking her questions and watching me type the answers. She was thrilled that someone was interested in her enough to ask the questions in the first place. She kept saying, "What else do you think she would like to know about me?" As I was about to press send, I thought of this blog. Perfect. Thanks, Tangobaby. This post comes from you.


Q. What do you want to be when you grow up?
A. "I want to be a very talented artist."

Q. What kind of art? Do you know that yet?
A. "Not exactly. I don't know. But, I will also be an art teacher. You know, an artist teacher thing. I will do a lot of art at home and be a teacher, too."

Q. What do you dream of?
A. "One time I dreamed that I had gone to the candy store. People had dropped a lot and I just scooped it up. Like fifteen hundred dollars of candy. One time I dreamed my room was spinning. That was actually a very fun dream."

Q. If you could plan our next vacation, what would we do?
A. "New York, maybe. I don't know what we would do, but we would go to tons of art museums. I would want to ride those underground buses tons of times. What are they called? Yes, subways. I really want to ride one of those."

Q. If you could have a thing right away that you wanted, what would it be?
A. "A baby kitten and fifteen hundred books. It would drive my Dad nuts, though,
if I got a kitten."

Q. Tell me something interesting about you.
A. "I don't know. Uh... You tell her something."

Q. What is your favorite dinner?
A. "Chicken and rice. That's what I am going to have for my special birthday dinner. A lot of people go out for their birthday dinner, but I don't. I pick something to eat that was my favorite that year. Hey, that can be my interesting thing. So, what else do you think she would like to hear?"

Q. Last question. What is the thing you are most thankful for today?
A. "Friends."

Q. Tell me more about your friends.
A. "I like when we are in special clubs together. Right now we have a club called the Tiki Island Eagle Club. We imagine that we have this land called Tiki Island. There is a Tiki Island face carved into a tree. And a special paw print to get to the very cool clubhouse. The island has a drawbridge so we can let in the people we want. We swing from some vines and have a lot of pets that have been lost from their families. We see weird animals that aren't tame, like panthers. But, they become nice and they are our pets. They even fight if they need to keep us safe."

There you have it, friends - a brief picture of Sloane at six.
I took that adorable picture of Sloane this past December as we headed to the airport on our trip home from Disney.